Music, Humor and Words

Not necessarily in that order. Michael Wright chimes in on his life, his interests and the occasional bolt of inspiration that mortals tend to gain from time to time.

Friday, January 27, 2006

On Pop's Edge: The Feeling


So many groups have alligned themselves with pop's "current" sensibilities, albeit with enough separation as to not be blatant copycats and the like. Then there are the bands that have made inroads into reviving the softer sounds that permeated the radio landscape of the 70's like Jellyfish, The Rembrandts, Ben Folds Five and Spymob. One band that has dominated my listening this week is on pop's edge, just about to break big time. I love being on the ground floor like this.

The band is the Sussex quartet The Feeling. I caught the single 'Sewn' on Xfm late Tuesday night. Not getting a backsell, I posted on Xfm's message board, trying to get a name or ident, with a couple of lyrics to help. I didn't get my answer, but noticed another post that asked about the same song, which got a reply for me to go on. Finding the band's website was first, then finding out they also had set up a page on myspace (the ultimate promotional weapon/resource at the moment) giving me a chance to hear more tracks, including 'Never Be Lonely' and 'Fill My Little World.'

I'm digging the inspiration from these boys, having listened in my younger days to Queen, 10cc, Supertramp and the like; the songs are very friendly, with quite a bit of fuel for more. They have gigs a plenty on the horizon in the UK, so it's only a matter of time before they make a splash here, like Coldplay, Keane and David Gray took their sweet time to hit stateside success.
They're signed to UMD/Island, so you will be hearing more soon, guaranteed.

The Feeling on MySpace
Official Site
The Feeling, 'Sewn' (Realaudio from BBC)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home